AWFUL service at Swanson Vitamins and as usual, at the post office

Every few months I have a MAJOR post office crisis. This time it’s about a UPS order placed with Swanson Vitamins. We’ve been ordering from Swanson for years and truly enjoyed their high quality organic cocoa powder, coconut oil and several other products we just can’t find in Kingman. Swanson always shipped UPS and very promptly and I had hoped to have these items at the community church sale last month

To my HORROR, Swanson decided to get CHEAP and use UPS “Post”, a service that results in UPS handing the package off to the Kingman post office. As you all know, the post office doesn’t deliver to our residences as UPS and Fed Ex do.

I picked up ONE big box with a tube of toothpaste at our PO Box in Meadview and upon further checking realized that Swanson had split our about $100 order that would have easily fit into one box into THREE separate packages. They paid THREE shipping charges!

I thought the missing 2 packages would also be delivered to the Meadview post office, but several times they looked for them and found nothing. Finally I got the the UPS tracking:

Kingman, AZ, United States 11/27/2012 8:51 A.M. Post office attempted delivery and left a delivery notice at the location. Contact post office per delivery notice.
Kingman, AZ, United States 11/26/2012 12:21 P.M. Package transferred to post office
11/26/2012 9:16 A.M. Destination Scan
Kingman, AZ, United States 11/22/2012 5:30 A.M. Arrival Scan
Phoenix, AZ, United States 11/22/2012 4:40 A.M. Departure Scan
Phoenix, AZ, United States 11/21/2012 7:37 P.M. Arrival Scan
Las Vegas, NV, United States 11/21/2012 10:08 A.M. Arrival Scan
Sparks, NV, United States 11/20/2012 10:45 P.M. Departure Scan
11/20/2012 5:21 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 11/20/2012 7:09 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

So, UPS Kingman received the items on 11/22 and 4 days later decided to deliver to the Kingman post office. Then it gets really interesting:

Post office attempted delivery and left a delivery notice at the location.

Hmmm, where exactly did the post office attempt delivery? What exactly is that location?

Those were the questions I asked Greg at the Kingman post office when I called there on 11/30. After some time on the phone with Greg and him checking “whatever”, he said something about the carrier having the packages and that he would call me back.

Of course Greg did NOT call me back.

Today, 2 weeks later, I called the Kingman post office again. I spoke with JJ, who was LESS than helpful. In short, my two packages are sitting in Kingman. I am to be grateful that they didn’t send them back to Swanson.

And of course this is MY fault because the PO Box is NOT on the packages.

I actually DID provide the PO Box in addition to the street address to Swanson.

To add insult to injury, I have to talk to Greg to have the packages brought to Kingman!

Of course Greg wasn’t available because he goes home at 10:30 am. Greg is the supervisor. JJ’s supervisor is Teresa.

So I conclude that both Swanson Vitamins and the post office are truly messed up. Of course I already knew that about the post office and that’s why they’re losing money. I try to make sure that anything important is shipped Fed Ex or UPS.

What on earth is wrong with Swanson Vitamins?

Splitting my order into THREE packages and then being too cheap to shop UPS?

I actually sent an email to Swanson about this weeks ago, but they didn’t bother to reply. So I did a little research and it looks to me like another case of company providing great products and good service until they became too successful.

I sure wish somebody started a private mail box service in Meadview so that I didn’t have to get my important mail in Kingman and I’d be able to get packages here too without all these problems.

I sent the link to this post to feedback@swansonhealth.com and will update if they contact me.

12/15/12 UPDATE:  Yesterday morning I talked to Greg at the Kingman post office and he knew right away what it is all about.  According to him, he had the carrier take our packages to Meadview after our talk on 11/30 and he thought everything was fine and that’s why he didn’t return my call.

However, apparently the Meadview post office REFUSED the packages despite the fact that they were addressed to our PO Box and the carrier put them on a shelf in Kingman and didn’t tell Greg.

So, apparently I had bitched sufficiently at JJ, she told Greg, Greg told the carrier to take the packages to the Meadview post office and to NOT bring them back.  Jose picked the packages up yesterday afternoon at the Meadview post office.

3 weeks late. And how many hours of my time wasted?

And, NO reply from Swanson Vitamins.  That is very discouraging as I had hoped to order their products for the co-op.